Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Personal Rule of Life (Part 2)

"The ascetic approach basically asks, What do I need to let go of?  The mystical approach asks, What do I need to take up?"

"The ascetic dimension of a rule of life invites us to consider what separates us from God, and asks us to give it up"

"The mystical dimension of a rule of life invites us to consider what practices will open us to the divine mystery more fully."

-The Pastor's Guide to Spiritual Formation

It is so painfully obvious what it is that I need to give up.  I need to give up BLAME.  I spend so much time blaming other people.  I blame others, and not strangers, for almost everything in my life.  I blame my weight on my upbringing.  I blame my messy house on my spouse and child.  I blame my lack of work on my co-worker.  I blame my laziness on my weight.  I blame everyone else and everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment